Thursday, February 11, 2016

Physics: Breathing at 30,000 Feet

I love flying. I love airports and traveling. I love TSA security checks and I even love baggage claim. I don't know if this feeling will ever go away, or if I am going to have to travel many more miles before it wears off. I love flying. 

The idea that I can get about 500 miles away in about 3 hours absolutely fascinates me. I'm even writing this post on a S80 American Airlines flight from DFW to STL. But even with the thought of spending time just sitting, being served a drink, and listening to TEDTalks, my favorite part of flying is enjoying the view. Between attractive business men and the photogenic plane wing against a sunset, the "friendly skies" have a lot to offer. None of this is compared to the view of night flights and the ground below. On a clear night, I feel like I'm looking down into the galaxy. The cities below glitter like stars and constellations, and the darkness around them is dotted with small lights, like a cosmic runway for me to get lost in. It's truly beautiful to me.



I didn't always deal this well with flying, in fact, it used to absolutely terrify me. I blame an early life exposure to "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", an episode of The Twilight Zone featuring one of the scariest monsters I could imagine. It also features William Shatner as a younger man plagued with a fear of flying. The episode ends like most, with a mind boggling mystery, and Rod Serling saying "something something something, in The Twilight Zone". The monster used to make me cry, and I still sometimes think I will see something on the wing of the plane, but these days, it's going well. 


By the end of March, I will have logged a lot of miles since August 2015, traveling from OKC to Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago (again), and finally New York City (and back, of course). So, bring on the TSA checks, bring on the cramped seats, and bring on the airline food, because at the end of the day, the destination is so worth sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the flight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment