Thursday, February 18, 2016

Official Review: The Best and Worst of Super Bowl 50

It was a slightly chilly evening, but the bar was warm. I was looking pretty cute, and I was ready to see some action in the commercials and in the football game. I had picked up my friend Barbara, and headed out to a local bar. A Moscow Mule and some beer-cheese dip later, I found myself with a pleasant buzz and a great view of a TV. While I brought my friend Barbara for the moral support of not sitting in a bar by myself, it turned out to be a visual joke of the evening. She was yelling at the football games, I was yelling at the commercials. I love football, but I love commercials more.

I live tweeted the Super Bowl with the hashtag #AshleyDoesSuperBowl50, and I shared a lot of thoughts as they were happening, so if you would like to check that out, you can do so here!

So, here we go, my feedback on the best, and worst of Super Bowl 50:


Top 5:
1) Jeep- I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler with a detachable top, and Jeep really brought the emotional side of Jeep ownership to the forefront this year. I enjoyed it, and I can totally get with it.
2) Wix- I really enjoyed the "Adception" here of including some of the most popular ads in recent history. Really fun to watch.
3) Mini- Okay, so I don't know why the car commercials this year had all the feelings mixed in with them, but I am really loving it. Mini "bucked the stereotypes" and I love it so, so much.
4) T-Mobile- I like the play off of Steve Harvey, and I think it is really funny that he is making so much money off his mistake. I just thought it was a lot funnier than the Kim K commercial last year.
5) Hyundai- First of all, you can sign me up for anything that includes looking at Ryan Reynolds for any period of time at all. Second, I think Hyundai might be making a transition from family car, to target the child-less millennials. I love my Hyundai and I have to congratulate them on a commercial that grabbed attention.


Bottom 5:
1) Mountain Dew Kickstarter- Puppybabymonkey is going to haunt my dreams. 100%. It caught my attention, but I probably won't ever buy it as an open form of protest.
2) NFL Super Bowl Babies- The only thing that scares me more than puppybabymonkey, is babies. Also, it should be a federal offense to remix "Kiss From a Rose."
3) Doritos- First of all, Doritos are really good, but this commercial really wasn't. Everyone was trying to be weird and it just didn't work for anyone really well.
4) Skittles- This is mainly here because I am bitter that "Dream On" was stuck in my head for days after the Bowl was over.
5) PayPal/Quicken Loans- Both of these were aimed to be about tech savvy millennials, but really to me, PayPal (which I use all the time) was trying too hard, and Quicken Loans cam off a bit like "let's do 2008's financial crisis again, but with an app!" Just missed the mark for me. 


Honorable Mentions
1) Audi- I can appreciate anything that gives me good feelings and nods to David Bowie. RIP Starman.
2) Heinz- The best part of this commercial is the kid dressed as a ketchup packet. It's perfect and a visual gag and it is wonderful.
3) Prius- It was a good effort, and I appreciate the funny they put into it. Not good enough for the top 5, but worth mentioning.


Let's Talk Sh*t:
There was more than one commercial this year that offered the audience of Super Bowl 50, an opportunity to learn about Super Bowels. That's right, I am talking about poop. Two different companies had commercials for two different issues: going too much, and not going enough. So, whether you can't go at all, or if it feels like Taco Tuesday took your lower intestine too seriously, they might have a great suggestion for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment