Tuesday, January 26, 2016

For A Better Us: The YMCA and 'Campaign Season'

I work here. Every morning from 4:45 AM- 9 AM. Yeah, it is early. But it is also important.

I walk in the doors, a little groggy, at 4:45, and greet my co-workers in solidarity. The morning shift involves turning on lights and making sure the facility is ready for the day. Lights in the gym, the group exercise room; locker rooms open, steam room on. It is really about muscle memory. But there is more. Some days are easier than others: swim lesson registration days, and camp registration days can be stressful. Other days, are easy, a handful of 'good mornings' and 'hellos'. Spending 20 minutes every morning talking to two 12 year olds that hang out here before finishing their walk to school. Sharing a trivia fact with one member named Rip, and knowing the nicknames of other morning members.

I see the same people every single day. We have Bill, the brilliant neurosurgeon. We have "Judge", the former city judge. I even see the city manager every day. I see people ranging from retirees who drive buses to keep themselves busy, to single moms who haven't had a day off in years. The YMCA is a gym. We have youth sports. We have group fitness classes. But we are more than a gym, we are a cause; and here I will tell you why.

No one gets turned away from the YMCA for the inability to pay for a program, or membership. Last year, we awarded more than $400,000 in financial assistance to our community. We made it possible for children in our community to play soccer and basketball, and learn to swim. We provide a safe place for children to spend their before and after school times. We provide spaces in our summer camps that allow young children and teens to spend their summer doing good, instead of being bored at home. This past basketball season, almost 3,000 children played basketball at this YMCA. Talk about changing the community.

This brings us to Campaign Season. Because the Y is a non-profit agency, we raise most of the money we need to support the financial assistance program through fundraising during our campaign. Campaign Season runs from Mid-January through February, and every YMCA has a goal for funding. The staff, and several community members donate to make this Y a better place. For the first time ever, the YMCA of the USA is running a national advertising campaign and the commercials are really pulling my heart strings. I have been employed here for almost 3 years, have worked at 3 different branches, and have done work in 3 different departments.

These commercials, and the stories I hear from members, remind me why I am so passionate about working here, and making a difference. Ad Week just selected these Y campaign ads as Ad of the Day, and I couldn't be happier that I help make this happen every day.

The YMCA is
For Youth Development
For Healthy Living
For Social Responsibility

and so am I.


No comments:

Post a Comment