Wednesday, January 13, 2016

twenty sixteen

As this new semester unfolds, I am stared down by responsibility I have, and the looming commitment that is my college graduation. In 3 months and 26 days, I will walk across the stage and receive a (very charming) diploma case; and then I get handed the real present; "adult responsibility". If we are defining this on my personal level: bills, apartments, moving, and jobs. Sounds terrible right? WRONG.

There is so much more to post graduation than I give it credit for. I can say I "did the thing!", and I can become gainfully employed; I can apply for graduate school, or I can stay where I am. I hope to become happy, and I hope that I become what I aim to be. But, that's a little too emotional for me right now. (see next paragraph)

This semester (my last!) I have the ultimate honor being the Project Manager for our AAF competition piece. I have the honor of interning for an amazing non-profit (Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition), and maintaining my job at the YMCA. I have 3 more classes: JUST 9 HOURS stand between me and leaving, but I feel the pang of sadness when I think about leaving UCO. This place that has been my home, and these people who have taught me so many things. My friends are here, my professors, my advisers, family, and sisters. Leaving this place is scary. I feel like that Kevin Hart video! Where could I even start?



Let's Start Here:
I promise to love hard. I promise to spend my time bettering; myself, my relationships, my friendships, my body. I promise to stay in contact with those who have touched my life, and to remain loyal to my values. I promise to live my life as a journey, not a destination. I promise to explore all the things I haven't yet, and to approach all of those things with an open mind and heart. I promise to make a new friend everywhere I go, and to put in more effort to expand my horizons. I promise to love myself, and love myself hard.

I am so innately fortunate to have amazing friends and family to "hold my hand" throughout the way, and I hope that I make them proud, because they make me proud every single day.

Do good, do well.
-A




No comments:

Post a Comment